What core services does StratoDem Analytics provide?
The core StratoDem Analytics product is organization-wide access to a powerful data-science platform that allows clients to analyze historical trends, track current developments with our nowcasts, and build confidence in future market performance with forecasts of demographics and economics for any market or submarket across the US.
We offer access to an ecosystem of data science products including:
- Portfolio Analysis Engine to power national- and portfolio-level analysis for questions such as "Which market areas will see the strongest growth of income-qualified senior households over the next three years?"
- Market Insights, a hyper-granular segmentation analysis tool to dive deep into household dynamics for submarkets
- Residential Developer Analyst, Blaise ML, our Machine Learning analyst system to write demand-side housing market analyses for first-time, trade-up and empty-nester homebuyers for every market and submarket across the US
- Seniors Housing Analyst, Blaise ML, our Machine Learning analyst system to write demand-side and supply-side senior housing market analyses for 55+ active adult and senior living product for every market and submarket across the US
Let's take the question from above to demonstrate the power of the ecosystem:
- Ask the Portfolio Analysis Engine by typing in the question, "Which market areas will see the strongest growth of income-qualified senior households over the next three years?"
- The StratoDem Analytics machine-learning-powered analyst will analyze all properties or markets in the portfolio definition and return an answer like "Your property to the north of Boston, MA will add 1,322 adults ages 80+ with at least $25,000 in household income over the next five years, good for a +17.8% growth rate."
- Then, dive deeper into that market in the Market Insights application and analyze submarket-level demographics and economics for detailed analysis of segment growth rates between 2005 and 2025.
- To finish the analysis, open an analytical memo written by Blaise ML in the Senior Housing Analyst application.
How do I use the StratoDem Analytics Platform?
StratoDem Analytics has developed multiple independent applications, in addition to client-specific semi-custom deliveries:
- Market Insights.
Report covering vital economic and demographic metrics using the most current market analysis and our industry-leading forecast
- Residential Developer Analyst.
StratoDem Analytics Blaise ML, a Machine Learning analyst system writes a demand-side analysis covering crucial economic and demographic forces shaping a market area, specific to homebuilding and residential development
- Senior Housing Analyst.
Blaise ML analyzes supply-side and demand-side dynamics for senior housing across a national portfolio
- Portfolio Analysis Engine.
The engine can assess the current/past/future market condition for properties in your portfolio, and your competitors' portfolios, identify the best performing and the worst performing properties based on the market five-year outlook
Included with access to each of our platforms are the following complimentary services:
- Data download. Download data on a single market or a portfolio of markets (bulk download) in a single Excel file
- Data Upload. Work with us on the type of data you would like to integrate (supply-side metrics, for example) and we will analyze and map competitor locations against demand-side factors
- Onboarding for your whole team. Our team will walk through example use cases during an initial onboarding period for all users. We also open up access to our knowledge base for tutorials and hints.
- Technical support throughout your subscription period.
What can you tell me about pricing?
Pricing depends on a number of factors, including geographic coverage, level of customization/build time, license terms, and segment coverage.
Please use this page to learn more about pricing.
Can StratoDem Analytics develop additional analyses or applications that meet my needs?
Yes. StratoDem Analytics frequently builds what we call semi-custom deliveries, where we do some of the following for our clients:
- Build custom dashboards to track an existing portfolio of properties for investors or developers
- Create new data and forecasts for topics ranging from insurance coverage to household income broken down by source of income
- Rebuild already existing analysis pipelines and technological stacks of advisory services firms to replace them with faster deliveries, better design, and more accurate data
Which markets does StratoDem Analytics cover?
StratoDem Analytics provides complete coverage for the entire US (except some remote regions of Alaska), including:
- 400+ metros and metropolitan divisions
- 3,000+ counties
- 30,000+ zip codes
- 70,000+ census tracts; for example, Boston, MSA has over 900 census tracts that we track.
Which metrics does StratoDem Analytics forecast?
StratoDem Analytics provides nowcasts and forecasts for critical economic and demographic metrics, including:
- Local market economic growth (think GDP for counties and metros)
- Alpha and beta, our proprietary estimates breaking down the sustainability and volatility of growth patterns for markets and industry segments
- Population by age, race or ethnicity, educational attainment level
- Household income by age, broken down by the source of income, such as:
- Wage and salary income
- Income from interest, dividends and rental income
- Income from retirement savings, including pensions and annuities
- Social security
- Household net worth by age
- Home values by age and/or by household income
- Homeownership rates by age of householder
- Housing costs for homeowners and renters
- Insurance coverage by age of householder
This is just a starting point for what StratoDem Analytics provides for clients, and we also frequently add, build, or integrate new data sets for clients during the initial on-boarding process or as more comprehensive semi-custom builds.
Don't see something you need on the list above?
We may already have it, but we also frequently add, build, or integrate new data sets for clients during the initial onboarding process.
Can StratoDem Analytics analyze all markets at once?
Yes. Our Portfolio Analysis Engine can answer questions about metros or rank performance across all properties in a portfolio. Our machine-learning-powered analysts provide desktop access for you to ask questions or pull market scorecards for any market of interest.
How does StratoDem Analytics handle segmentation?
StratoDem Analytics can help clients slice and dice by age, income, net worth, and a number of other factors in combination with each other (e.g., households age 80+ meeting specific levels of retirement income, net worth, home value, insurance coverage, etc.). Then StratoDem Analytics can map them by Census tract or generate segmentation heatmaps to quickly identify segments with higher or lower concentration than the US or a comparison market. One way we analyze the data is through a location quotient.
A location quotient is the relative index of a segment's concentration in one market compared to another market. (For example, if households 80 to 84 years old with $200,000 or more in household income living in Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX MSA have a location quotient of 6.65 relative to the U.S., then the percentage of households in that segment in Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX MSA is 6.65 times greater than the percentage of households in that segment nationally.)
What is "nowcasting"?
Nowcasting is the prediction of the present state of data before it is released by the Federal governmental statistical agencies.
Example: StratoDem Analytics can predict 2017 regional GDP numbers (Gross Metropolitan Product or GMP) in January 2018, when the Bureau of Economic Analysis will not release the 2017 data until November 2018. The Goldman Sachs Growth Tracker and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta GDPNow deploy similar methods for national growth estimates, although only StratoDem Analytics can release this data at local-market level instead of national level.
Why does it matter?
Every data set is released on a lag.
For example: The 2016 American Community Survey population data is released by the US Census Bureau at the end of 2017. 2016 county-level income data is released by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics at the end of 2017. Household net worth data is released by the Federal Reserve Bank once every three years. Nowcasting creates accurate estimates of where that data will be before it is released, giving clients dramatic leads in understanding local market conditions before competitors—providing true competitive advantage.
What is Bayesian statistics?
Bayesian modeling is an approach to statistics that uses the mathematics of probability to combine data with prior information.
Why use Bayesian modeling?
Bayesian models drive inferences which are more precise than would be obtained by either of those sources of information alone. StratoDem Analytics uses Bayesian modeling to combine hundreds of data sets at varying frequencies and geographic levels in a statistically rigorous, robust way.
As one example, the StratoDem Analytics engine builds its core population forecasts using hierarchical Bayesian time-series modeling with data from national, state, metro, county, census tract data (and more!).
The downside of Bayesian modeling? The models typically come at extremely high computational cost, which is why complex implementations are only now becoming possible in this era of scalable data science.